How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 5760
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I seem to be getting a kind of abscess on my face, near my

Customer Question

I seem to be getting a kind of abscess on my face, near my chin. Earlier today I thought it was just a very very small cystic pimple that was slightly painful under the surface and I tried to press on it (I know we shouldn't do that). But now there is visible swelling which is probably about 1.5" x 1" on my chin just above my jaw line. Within the last couple hours it's gotten extremely painful to open my jaw. I tried a warm compress with epsome salts but it's continuing to get a little more swollen.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can feel a pulse in the swelling. I do not fee like a have a temperature (but haven't taken it). This doesn't feel like a dental problem but more like an abcess under the skin
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kama, thanks for posting your question today.

Are you having any tooth related problems like biting sensitivity or internal swelling? Any soreness in the mouth below the teeth? If your answers are no then you should call your physician for help and if not available then you would need to go to an urgent care or ER for some medication.

If you can upload a photo it would help in the diagnosis.

You can use this link for instructions: ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like:, and then send me the link.


Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Karma, just following up to see if you need more information and how you are doing.

Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Karma, are you still swollen?