Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I was diagnosed with oral thrush. My doctor prescribed 150

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with oral thrush. My doctor prescribed 150 mg of diflucan to be them every even days (3 times) and Nystatin rinse. Is this a sufficient prescription? I've read should be Diflucan 100 mg daily, which seems like a lot. Also I'm taking 5 mg Nystatin 3-4 times a day (every 6 hours except when sleeping). How long until thi goes away? (I'm not imnocompromised. I was in inhaled steroids, antibiotics (still am), and prednisone. I'm not iff the inhaled med and prednisone
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Normally for treatment of this condition especially when this condition is severe then diflucan is prescribed in a dose of 200 mg orally on day one, and then followed by 100-200 mg once daily for 7-14 days.

Your doctor has prescribed chronic suppressive therapy which is taking fluconazole 3 times weekly, but the dosage recommended normally for this type of therapy is 100 mg. However please take this medication as prescribed by your doctor since this has very few side effects. Therefore to answer your question your prescribed medications are sufficient for treatment, and with treatment this will go away faster and in at least a week of treatment.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm confused. It seems doctor prescribed less than ideal amount however in your opinion you believe it will still treat my problem? Does the nystatin make a difference?

Dear customer,

The daily dosage is for a one time cure (which is 100 mg daily). The dosage which your doctor has prescribed is for maintenance therapy, which is actually 100 mg 3 times weekly. And your doctor has prescribed 150 mg which is more than normally recommended dosage for such a therapy and is more than sufficient. Nystantin does make a difference and is in fact the drug of choice for oral thrush. All these medication will definitely treat the infection. Please take them as prescribed by your doctor.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Do I have to swallow the Nystatin? Or can I spit it out after swishing? Swallowing upsets my stomach.

Dear customer,

Regarding this you need to ask your doctor since if there is no indication for you to swallow and the infection is limited to your mouth, then your doctor may suggest to spit it out.

Take care.

Thanks.