Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Is there any way I can try to whiten a crown? Anything at

Customer Question
Is there any way I...
Is there any way I can try to whiten a crown? Anything at all I can do myself or at a dentist or a lab?
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: No. but I keep reading that its not possible. is there anything I can do? its my canine tooth and it came out a little too yellow and I didn't notice till it was too late.
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: a month ago. no swelling
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: the crown is a bit too yellow to my liking, if it was natural tooth I would bleech itl but since it is a crown what can I do to make it a little more white, or at least try, without having to replace it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
8/29/2016
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.I'm sorry but unlike a natural tooth, a prosthetic crown cannot be whitened at home. It has to be sent to a dental lab and the entire ceramic layer of the crown needs to be changed.Probably not what you wanted to hear :-(Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you.I do not get credit for it otherwise!Regards, *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well can I go to the lab and they can whiten the color while the canine crown is still in my mouth?
No, the crown needs to be given to them for a couple of days at least.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you mean the dentist can take off my crown that was bonded already and resent it back to the lab to have it whitened and then can reput it back in my mouth?
that's what I mean.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist