Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I have had a broken tooth to the gum in my mouth a time.I

Customer Question

Hi there...I have had a broken tooth to the gum in my mouth a long time.I was going to have it pulled in april but ended up w gallbladder problems and been to sick to do so.It does not really hurt just some tenderness.
The past couple days I have had a frontal headache (pretty bad) on and off around the forehead and eyes.I have dizziness w head movement and blurred vision w the headache. I have had migraine vertigo many years ago but dont remember the headache pressure this bad.Now my anxiety is bad thinking my tooth spread to my brain,but it does not hurt.Wouldn't i for sure know this.I have a dental appt on thurs.
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: Did you get my message
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: You
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Well first of all, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. A lot of dental infections don't cause pain if they are long standing, but in order to determine if your broken tooth is causing an infection to spread I would need to know approximately where in your mouth it is. If its a top tooth, bottom, back molar or front incisor. The more specific location you can tell me would be appreciated, or even a picture. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is my top right molar second to last in mouth.I had it checked for infection march and was told he saw no infection.then I planned on having it pulled in April.The headache comes and goes,the dizziness stays some what w head movement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost feels like a sinus headache some what

The tooth you describe could definitely spread an infection to the maxillary sinus which if that has happened, over time the infection can spread to other sinus cavities. As you are describing you have what feels like a sinus headache, may indicate that some level of inflammation (so not positively infection unless x-rayed) is present. You may have an inner ear infection that is causing these symptoms as well (vertigo). My suggestion would be to see urgent care as soon as possible, because the on-call dr can prescribe either an antibiotic or other med as they determine before seeing your dentist. The physician may simple suggest a decongestant too, but its the best way to start getting treatment before you can get that root removed. A broken tooth, that isn't causing pain, has dead pulp tissue inside the root and will eventually cause infection. It can be quick or it can take years. Does that answer your question? Dr. Hegland

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.Seeing as I have 2 dizzy conditions..menieres disease and migraine associated vertigo I just dont know.Dizzy is common for me.I think if I call the Dentist tomorrow he will see me as soon as tomorrow.My right ear does ache a little w swallowing too and that is my problem ear with the menieres disease.I think with the tooth my anxiety is getting the best of me thinking its my brain. ��

You are correct that you have contributing conditions that can cause some anxiety! However, to help with your anxiety it might help to get the tooth looked at asap or even call your dentist office to obtain a antibiotic. It is unlikely that you have those symptoms and a resulting infection spread to brain, but I just want to make sure that you understand follow-up for your tooth and overall health is important as soon as possible to find the source of your symptoms.

Also when you press on tooth with finger or tongue and that causes tenderness or an exudate of white or puss like substance you need to act on the tooth treatment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.I will call first thing in the morning and have it taken care of.I would imagine I would feel pretty darn sick if this where the case.As far as an antibiotic I would be concerned about taking one ( just in case) if not needed with all my belly problems already at hand..I thank you so much for your kindness too

If you have any other concerns please just ask, and take care! Dr. Hegland