Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had 3 teeth cut out severe pain for 3 days pain mostly

Customer Question

I had 3 teeth cut out severe pain for 3 days pain mostly stopped then the return of a different kind of pain not as severe but deep down in the socket and in the inside of my jaw called surgeon he didn't want to see me just changed to a stronger antibiotic no prescription pain meds I got 15 after surgery and they lasted 4 days said ibuprofen should take care of it well its not what is going on?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Without seeing an X-ray of the area,I cannot give you an accurate diagnosis but if the pain has been going on since the teeth were extracted,it is likely that you lost the clot and the bone is exposed.If your dentist will not see you,go to the pharmacy and get some gauze pads.Cut one of them so that it is 1 and a half inches long and an inch wide.Coat it on both sides with some destine ointment and place it in the socket where you are feeling the pain.You should get some relief within minutes.This dressing needs to be removed in 48 hours.Which antibiotic are you taking and how often? Do you have any swelling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
swelling antibiotic clindamycin
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

What dosage are you taking and how often?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When did you start the clindamycin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two days ago 300 mg 4 times a day
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You are on the correct dose.It will take at least 48 hours before the swelling starts to subside.Normally pain will subside by the 3rd or 4th day.Were you swollen prior to the extractions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK you wasn't much help I'm going to call my primary dentist on Monday
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you can make the dressing as I have described ,you should get some immediate relief.What else would you like me to do.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

We are not allowed to prescribe medications through this site.The only other thing that could be going on is that you have a piece of necrotic bone still in the socket that is delaying your healing.Without an X-ray,I cannot make that diagnosis.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The best bet would be to insist that the surgeon who did the extractions examine you.You should notice that the swelling should be substantially reduced by Monday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't ask u to prescribe I just don't know why he didn't want to see me and his assist did all the talking he should have had me come in I won't be going to him anytime soon he is a quack!! I also had severe pain while in the chair I should have no felt that much pain I don't think I was all the way numb he was in such a rush to get done this is why people fear dentist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh they were cut out problem with just one left molar
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

There should have been no reason that you felt anything during the extractions.That is just poor practice.I have been scared of dentists since I was a kid.There are good ones and there are bad ones.Your surgeon should have brought you in right away.You are correct in going with another dentist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know thank you the assist did everything how do they know what is going on or how much pain I'm in with seeing me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With out seeing me
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Anyone that calls my office that is in severe pain after extractions are done,I see them right away.They seem to be more concerned with making a buck than providing you with good service.This frequently occurs in corporation offices and those intent on rushing people through without much care for their welfare.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions can you please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Have you been able to make a dressing for the extraction socket yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my subscription after my month is up.I don't want to be charged anymore. If something comes up I will take it back thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The experts on this site have no power to deal with fees or subscriptions.We have no control over any of that.If you contact Customer Service,they can help you with that.If you can just provide a rating for the answer it will allow me to move on and help other customers as well as help maintain good quality control on this site