Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I've been having symptoms that are not connected and drs and

Customer Question
specialists can't figure out....
I've been having symptoms that are not connected and drs and specialists can't figure out. Dizziness, fatigue, pressure in my head when I get a dizzy spell, eyes feel funny when dizzy spell occurs. Also have had diarrhea everyday almost since last September. Nothing connects and symptoms are getting worse. A few years ago my dentist at the time noticed a tooth abscess..unfortunately that corresponded with my husband losing job, health insurance issues etc and my tooth never got treated because of finances. It really does not bother me anymore..I used to get severe pain and dentist would give me antibiotics and it would go away. I' m wonder ing if this could all be connected and if so who the heck would I see about it? Dentist, Primary? etc....any advice would be greatly appreciated...very tired and is even getting difficult to focus at work.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: 2 year ago..ok..getting older. When I get the dizzy spell some times my vision kind of blanks out or cant focus for a couple seconds.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: what information do you want?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
8/5/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

Hello! In regards ***** ***** abscessed tooth it certainly should be treated, either by root canal therapy or removal. A chronic tooth infection could easily spread to adjacent tissues such as sinuses, throat spaces, or even brain. The reason you likely don't have pain with the tooth, is because the nerve in the tooth overtime has decayed and died. That necrotic (dead) tissue inside the tooth will continue to keep a chronic infection present and will spread or destroy tissue around the tooth (bone, gingiva). I would recommend return to your dentist and have the tooth xrayed (periapical xray, bitewing xray, and possibly a panoramic or conebeam xray). Its difficult to say for sure if tooth related disease is causing your systemic health concerns, but with your health concerns I would suggest having a physician complete an MRI to evaluate neurologic issues. Another option would be to see a spine specialist, because your symptoms could be due to a compressed nerve in your neck. Hopefully that answers your question.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist