Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I wanted to check and make sure my tooth #6 and tooth # 8

Customer Question
looked okay and there was...
I wanted to check and make sure my tooth #6 and tooth # 8 looked okay and there was no nerve/pulp damage from my X-ray I attached that was taken today? I had a dental implant on tooth #7 about 3 1/2 months ago. The reason for my question on those two teeth is because I started to have tenderness in those two teeth after about 3 months after my implant was placed and at the time my oral surgeon was concerned about them and said I should have my dentist validate that they were okay.Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
7/27/2016
Dentist: Michael Korn, DDS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Michael Korn, DDS
Michael Korn, DDS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, I'm sorry you are having discomfort.

I don't see a clear abscess on either tooth. There is however a slight darkening of the radiograph (aka radiolucency) around the root of #8 which could be the start of an abscess. A series of tests should be done by your general dentist or an endodontist to see if the nerve is still alive in those teeth.

I hope this helps,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the nerve is dead in tooth # 8 what would happen to that tooth if I did nothing and let it be?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was an X-ray from my dentist taken 4 months before the last one I sent you

If the nerve is dead it will eventually abscess which can present as swelling, pain, mobility or even a fistula draining puss into your mouth. Sorry if I'm grossing you out. #8 looks pretty healthy on the x-ray from 4 months ago.

Best regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The X-ray 4 months ago (March 26, 2016) was taken by my dentist and the X-ray today (July 26, 2016) was from my oral surgeons office. My oral surgeon also took an X-ray on April 7, 2016 just before my implant surgery and he said it looked just like my X-ray he took today. Could the X-rays change that much from March 26, 2016 (my dentist X-ray) to the X-ray my oral surgeon took on April 7, 2016? Could my oral surgeon just have a week X-ray machine? My dentist said they look fine.

In my opinion the x-rays haven't changed much at all. Without the presence of symptoms you described I wouldn't be concerned with the slight darkening of the x-rays on the more recent picture. The darkening is very slight and could be nothing.

On the other hand, if the nerve is or was dead an abscess could develop during a 4 month period of time.

best,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would a dentist do for an abscess if there was one?

The only two ways to treat a necrotic nerve is to remove the nerve (root canal) or remove the tooth. Based on the x-ray you uploaded #8 appears to have good bony support so I would elect for a root canal if an abscess were to develop.

I hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the root canal on a front tooth need a crown or could it be filled? I really do not want a crown on my front tooth. Some people say don't get a crown if it is the front teeth just get it filled. What causes an abscess?

A dead nerve will usually cause an abscess eventually.

The need for a crown after a root canal depends on how much healthy tooth structure remains. In most cases, on tooth #8, you can get by with just a filling. Personally, I would not hesitate to follow through with a crown if your dentist sees the need. The aesthetics can be amazing these days with full porcelain or "emax" crowns. Older style porcelain fused-to-metal crowns did not have the best aesthetics and would often leave a grayish color at the gum line, hence the recommendation from your friend.

best,

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine