Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a crown that became lose and came out while i was

Customer Question
hello i have a crown...
hello i have a crown that became lose and came out while i was abroad, i went to dentist and he put it back on 3 months ago...now i have acute pain in the surrounding gum and when i tap on the crown
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: the crown was cemented back in in april, no pain until today..acute pain on the crown (if i tap) and the gum area
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: what else
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
7/23/2016
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Assuming your tooth was not root canaled before the crown was first made, there are two possibilities why there is pain:

1. The tooth has become tender due to an inflammed pulp (pulpitis), and now needs a root canal. The pulptitis could be because of the thermal insults that it received when there was no crown covering it (in the period that it fell off).

2. The crown has been recemented improperly, and is impinging on the gums.

For now, take anti inflammatory medication. Switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.

Get an appointment with your regular dentist to get the tooth checked out as well as your bite (due to an improperly fitted crown).

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello
the crown was recemented in place in march... i believe the tooth had a root canal ...I have azythromicin 500 mg // (z pack) should I take it now ? I won't be able to go see a dentist of at least a week...I was thinking to take ibuprofen but add antibiotic treatment as well

If at all you want to add an antibiotic, then Augmentin will be a much better choice.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unfortunately i dont have augmentin (i just realized it's expired) can i take azytrhomicin?

Yes in that case, you can.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist