Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

3rd left molar infected for 3 years. Just got it removed

Customer Question

3rd left molar infected for 3 years. Just got it removed Monday at 10am. It is now Wednesday 1am. I am freaking about dry socket. I see a dark color in my socket and this morning noticed this white stringy looking stuff come out of nowhere. Also it looks like it is spreading across the site. I have pain both full and sharp. It comes and goes. My jaw underneath my mouth throbs. It is bearable pain. I take ibuprofen 600 every 4-6 hours and Norco ,5_325 as need like now because it's so uncomfortable.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant dull and sharp pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I'm not sure the number of the molars. It's the last molar on the bottom left before the wisdom, which was removed about 3 years ago as well.
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Andrea,

Most dry sockets develop in the first 24 to 72 hours. After this time period your chances of having a dry socket is minimal. Pain is the main indicator of a dry socket. No pain means no dry socket. However, "bearable pain" usually means that the clot is still present and that means that it is most likely not a dry socket. Dry sockets are caused when you lose the clot out of the extraction site and they will normally heal on their own with no treatment required. They are painful because the bone is exposed and bare bone is extremely sensitive to everything. Excessive rinsing is not necessary. When the clot is in the socket there is little to no pain and heals from the bottom up and it can take 5-6 weeks to heal completely. There are no restrictions when eating so you can have anything you like. Do not be concerned about the color of the interior of the clot because it can be whitish, brown, reddish, and even slightly black. These are all considered normal and is part of the healing process. You may want to try the following for pain: you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication and the Tylenol will make the pain relief last longer without having to take a narcotic. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

I might add that if the discomfort does continue or worsen then you can either have your dentist recheck the socket for you or you can go to your local drugstore and get some oil of cloves and use a small piece of cotton or pellet, or some benzocaine on a pellet or iodoform gauze or desitin on both sides of small piece of gauze (1/2 to1 inch). The gauze should be removed in 48 hours. A new clot will form under the gauze and the healing process will continue.

Here is a how to video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iWC3laSv68

Explanation URL:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/dry-sockets/a4-dry-sockets-treatments.htm

So if your symptoms improve then you do not need to worry about a dry socket forming.

If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi Andrea, how are you doing this morning and do you need more information?