Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I get jaw pain and back pain every so often and it hurts my

Customer Question
teeth. The pain gets really...
I get jaw pain and back pain every so often and it hurts my teeth. The pain gets really bad at times
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
7/19/2016
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Hello,Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.Your jaw pain and back pain may be related, but before that correlation can be explored and established, we need to give your teeth a clean bill of health.When have you last been to a dentist? Does it ever hurt while eating? Do you have any dental X rays?Lastly, have you been experiencing stress recently?Regards, *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had work done on my teeth but just cavities there was a real bad one on my left bottom Moller
Hello,So before anything else, that molar needs to be thoroughly checked out. It may have an infection causing an abscess and thus the jaw pain.Once that molar and all the other teeth are deemed to be ok by a dentist, then we can look for another cause for your jaw pain.Your history and symptoms indicate that you could be suffering from a type of TMD (Temporomandibular Disorder) that falls in the category of a muscle spasm. This is a very complicated group of disorders, which has been classified and re classified many times over into sub groups.Based on the limited information available to me, i cannot give you a pin-point diagnosis but i can guide you in the right direction.Just as we pull muscles of our back, thigh etc after doing too much exercise, the muscles of the neck and face can also be pulled if there is too much stress. These spasms cause the kind of symptoms you are experiencing. The stress is causing your muscles to hyper activate, thereby leading to tenderness in muscles and thus jaw pain.You need some rest. Avoid chewing on sticky/hard food. Apply ice to the tender areas.For now, take anti inflammatory medication. Switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.You may also need prescription muscle-relaxants and/or anxiolytics.When this episode settles down, please visit the Orofcacial Pain / Oral Medicine department of the dentals school nearest to you. You will need a detailed history, physical and X rays to pin-point the diagnosis, and thus help shape the treatment plan for the specific TMD that you have.Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you.I do not get credit for it otherwise!Regards, *****

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist