Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

What is a radioluncy. The radiolucency is above the gum line

Customer Question
what is a radioluncy JA: Have...
what is a radioluncy
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: yes
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: the radiolucency is above the gum line on my upper right side. i have no pain. i have an appointment with an endodontic clinic . Could this be cancer?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have no pain
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
7/18/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, if you could upload the Xray that shows the radiolucency it would help in the diagnosis:

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Most radiolucencies found in the bone after an Xray that are near the root ends or apices are abscesses caused by a dying nerve. They do not have to be painful to be present. Some radiolucencies are found along the root surface after an Xray and they may be from periodontal problems and they too do not have to be painful. This is most likely an abscess from a dead or dying nerve and the Endodontist will be able to confirm that for you after the examination. The chances of it being cancer is very low but it does need to be investigated and I am glad you are following up on it. The fact that you are seeing an Endodontist and not an Oral Surgeon leads me to believe it is not a cancer situation. So if you can send a photo (Xray) it would help in determining what you actually have at this time otherwise it is just a guess on my part.

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine