Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I was diagnosed with a severe tooh infection yesterday. The

Customer Question
dentist could not do the...
I was diagnosed with a severe tooh infection yesterday. The dentist could not do the root canal or extract it because the infection is in the nerve and it would not respond to numbing. He gave me antibioticsand pain meds andscheduled the proceedure for next week. Last night I woke up with flu symptoms that have continued into today and are getting worse. Nausea and severe aching in my back. Is this normal with a tooth infection or should I worry that the infection has spread?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is an upper molar, second from back on the left side. Not sure if that matters or not.
7/6/2016
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Just Dental Truths!

So sorry you are having troubles...

Taking antibiotics will generally take about 48 hours to really begin to "kick in" and work more aggressively, but it should do so - so please keep taking it.

With regard to the nausea and vomiting? This is very unpleasant for you, and possibly could be related to the tooth, but generally speaking it is not related. So what does that mean? It likely means you may simultaneously have contracted the flu or something comparable (sorry)! Could I be wrong? Yes. But generally flu like symptoms are not associated with a tooth problem.

Your infection will tend to be walled off and eradicated essentially, or at least in part, with you continuing to take the antibiotics. So what would I suggest? Please DO continue taking the antibiotics. Drink lots of fluids, lots of sleep. Eat well, and given a day or so - hope fully most all of your symptoms will subside. And, of course, the tooth can have the root canal initiated soon as well!

Again, so sorry. But DO hang in there. This too will pass - I promise you!

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no vomiting, Just upset stomach and the muscle aches in my back, like happen when I have the flu. I had read that if the infection spreads these symptoms can pop up with a tooth infection and was just wondering if it internet rumor or of there was something to it being related.

You have a valid concern.

It is possible, true, that they could be related, but it is very unlikely to get fluish like symptoms from a infected tooth. So, the likelihood, is that the two are not associated. When you do see your Dentist again - you could ask him or her, and they'll be able to clarify more.

In the meantime, and I realize it's a 'bummer' for you, but I'd just assume you may well likely have the flu also - and drink lots of fluids, bed rest and hang tough. And, as mentioned, get your tooth worked on as soon as your Dentist agrees to work on it.

I'm sorry you are having troubles...!

An example of where muscles attach (where you could be sore - if a tooth related problem):

The "sternocleidomastoid muscle, one end attaches behind the ear and then the other end to the front of our bodies where our sternum is. But not in the back, where you are feeling soreness in your back muscles.

But, even if you do happen to have two separate issues or not. Fortunately, BOTH can & will be gone given time and possibly some needed treatment in the case of the root canal. You will beat this!!!

Dr. Rampton

*Doe this make sense?

Ma'am,

Just checking in with you. Are you doing OK?

I hope so!

Dr. Rampton

*Please DO rate my answer, if you would please. And get feeling better ! ( - :

All the best to you!

How are you doing?

Dr. Rampton

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist