Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My wisdom tooth is twisting slowly and i have noticed the

Customer Question
pain getting worse and the...
my wisdom tooth is twisting slowly and i have noticed the pain getting worse and the side of my mouth is swollen
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: yes both.. i am due to fly from Australia to Dubai tonight and am wondering if that is a good idea?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: my tooth has come through but only looks half through. it was straight but in the last week or so i have noticed the tooth is turning inwards with the roots trying to move towards my cheek. the last 2 days the pain has got worse and the gum looks quite red and swollen
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My the pain feels like it is moving down into my jaw
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

How old are you and do you have any swelling currently?

Do you have any access to a dentist or doctor that can prescribe you an antibiotic?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 23 and I have swelling now. It has become worse within the last hour.

I am sorry that you are in so much pain.This is a common occurrence in your age group where the wisdom tooth does not have room to erupt.You have what is known as a pericoronitis,which is an infection of the gum around the tooth.Do you have access to an emergency care unit or a dentist that can prescribe an antibiotic?

If you have swelling in your face,it will be important that you start on an antibiotic right away.Penicillin , amoxicillin or clindamycin are the antibiotics of choice.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. Can I fly with this pain/ on antibiotics?
I can't get an emergency appointment. I have tried

The antibiotics take about 48 hours before you will see any results in reducing the swelling.In the meantime,rinsing with a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide or strong warm salt water can help keep the area clean around the tooth and may help with the inflammation .Pain tolerance is different for everyone.I do not know how much that you can endure but it is important that you start on the antibiotic ASAP.Most oral surgeons and dentists have 24 hour emergency lines and they can call in a prescription for you before you leave.You can fly but you may need to take some ibuprofen and tylenol with you to keep the pain under control.

You are probably aware that you will need to have this tooth extracted in the near future.These type of infections will return if the tooth is not removed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for that information. I'll make a booking for a dentist first thing in the morning.
Thanks again

You are welcome and I hope that you feel better soon.I have had the same thing happen to me when my wisdom teeth were coming in and I was miserable.

When you get a chance ,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks.

Is there any additional information that you need?

Please leave a rating. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)