Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a line inside my mouth on both sides. It was raised

Customer Question
I have a white line...
I have a white line inside my mouth on both sides. It was raised but I have been using mouthwash and it seems to have gone down. It hurts a little when I chew.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: no swelling. no real tooth pain. just jaw hurts when I chew
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: its a raised white line on each side of the inside of my mouth between my upper and lower teeth. And it hurts a little to chew (not my teeth) but my jaw
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
7/5/2016
Dentist: Dr. G, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist

Do you happen to have a picture of the area you are describing? This sounds like what is called linea alba and is caused from cheek biting. I have attached a picture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that looks like it. What can I do about it?

Basically all you can do is if it gets severe have your dentist fabricate a mouth guard for wear at night. During the day try to consciously not bite your cheek. If you have a malocclusion (bite that is off) braces may help correct the situation also. Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. If you wouldn't mind also taking a moment to rate my service I would appreciate it :)

Posterior cross bites can predispose you to the situation you describe. I've attached a cross bite picture to help you understand if you have this. Normally the top jaw teeth should be wider (outside) of the bottom teeth.

Anything else I can answer for you?

Just let me know and as mentioned about i'd appreciate if you could leave a rating :).

Anything else I can do for you?

Dr. G
Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist