Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I noticed my wisdom teeth are growing towards the back of my

Customer Question
mouth. Should I get them...
I noticed my wisdom teeth are growing towards the back of my mouth. Should I get them taken out soon?
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: I recently started having some jaw pain and ear pain. I do have a middle ear infection but I notice the pain radiating to my jaw
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: my left side bothers me most in the back by my wisdom teeth. Once I take tylenol it goes away. I am on an antibiotic for the ear infection itself but I still have pain in the back left side of my jaw
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
6/21/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

How old are you? Have you had an X-ray taken of your mouth in the last couple of years? Do you have any swelling? Are the wisdom teeth erupted? In other words can you see them in your mouth completely?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 22 and I have had x-rays taken about 2 years ago. There is no swelling and I can not see them but I can reach back there and touch them
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 23 sorry, typo

The decision to remove wisdom teeth is determined on an individual basis.Some people have room for them, some don't.At 23 ,your jaw is not going to grow any more so if they have not erupted by now,chances are they won't.If they are partially exposed,they pose a problem of trapping food and the area around the tooth can get infected causing a pericoronitis.This is a local gum infection.To determine whether yours need to be removed or not ,I would need to see a panoramic X-ray of your mouth.Many times we just watch teeth that have not erupted and no surgery is required.If you have no swelling,there is no emergency need here to have the wisdom teeth removed.If you had a panorex X-ray taken,I would be happy to look at it for you to give you a more accurate answer.

Ear pain can cause jaw pain and jaw or tooth related problems can cause ear pain.I would need to see an X-ray of your jaw to be able to give you more information about your wisdom teeth.In any respect,the antibiotic that you are taking for your ear,will in most cases cover temporarily ,infections around the wisdom teeth.If you need more information ,please ask.If not ,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)