Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have a lump under my tongue with head, its uncomfortable

Customer Question

Hello i have a lump under my tongue with white head
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: its uncomfortable and sore its been there for about 3 days.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: Just affecting my mouth no other syptoms
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: Its sore and on my salivary gland feels like a long lump very uncomfortable
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

Based on your description, you likely have a blocked salivary gland on your tongue. This is quite common and can cause the appearance, swelling and symptoms you've described. Treatment by your dentist may be as simple as a massaging technique. It may also require a simple, quick procedure performed with a local anesthetic such as Novacaine.

If you can send a picture it would be helpful to more accurately tell you about your issue.

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
picture attached
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can still gleek out off each side dont think my gland is blocked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Errrrrr ?
Hello again, sorry for the delay in responding to you. It seemed like access to the just answer site went down for a few minutes. Anyway, your picture was very helpful. Although you may be noticing fluid it certainly appears that you have inflammation of the papilla, swelling, and likely blockage or partial blockage. Small salivary stones that cause these blockages often passed by themselves. Rinsing with a cup of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of salt can also be helpful. But I would recommend having your dentist evaluate your issue for possible treatment. Because your issue can be painful and worsen. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Dr. Shernan.

Looks like access to the Justanswer site is back up. Anyway, please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would appreciate a positive rating for my effort.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You're most welcome.