Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Just came from the dentist's office. She wants to fill 5…

Customer Question
Just came from the dentist's...
Just came from the dentist's office. She wants to fill 5 erosions along the gum line in 5 teeth. There is no decay. I have been seeing dentists every 6 months or less for years, and never has a dentist stated that this should be done. Should I allow teeth to be drilled and filled?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
6/10/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, unless the erosion areas are decaying or you are symptomatic I would avoid any drilling on these area. The nerves in the teeth are not close to the surface when drilling from the top of the teeth but the opposite is true when drilling from the side. If you are able to change the way you brush and maintain the erosion as it is then please do not not have them filled. This opens a bag of worms with possible problems down the road. Just start brushing down on the top teeth and up on the lower teeth and never across the teeth and hopefully your erosion will maintain its current depth. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?

Hi, are you satisfied with my response or do you need more information?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor