Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Dear Dr, This is extremely embarrassing question I had

Customer Question

Dear Dr,
This is extremely embarrassing question
I had orthodontic jaw surgery in 2004 and wear a retainer each night. I had surgery due to an overbite.
My teeth are extremely sensitive and movenvery quickly if i don't wear a retainer.
I'm very worried because I am in new relationship with man and he asked for oral sex. I only tried once and worry it will hurt my teeth, jaw or create overbite? I am going to avoid doing this every again and talk to my boyfriend. Is this possible for the one time I did this to have harmed my teeth and bite? Very sorry for asking, but concerned because my bite looks a little off to me. I could be paranoid and have had nights when didn't wear retainer due to being ill this past year.
Thanks,
Kerry
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

It would be nearly impossible that having oral sex would have anything to do with your teeth shifting.You would have more problems with your jaw having pain at the Temporomandibular joint just in front of your ear, than anything else but even that would be transient.Having oral sex will not cause you to have an overbite. Significant tooth movement would take a long time.Not wearing your retainer for an extended period may cause some minor tooth movement but most likely would not be noticeable.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need? Your choice to have oral sex may be based on multiple factors but this activity should really cause no change in the position of your teeth.If you feel that your bite is off,it is mostly likely from the jaw muscles being stretched.This will correct itself but should not be confused with individual tooth movement.Please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site . Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any additional information?