Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I am going to a periodontist because a last back molar is a

Customer Question

I am going to a periodontist because a last back molar is a 6-7 and the doctor is going to do a periscope procedure to determine if there is a crack. He thinks it might be there under gum line into root? He said if root not infected only needs a scaling. I'm asking what is done usually if the root is infected. Do they scale anyway, if you a destined to lose the tooth?
Thank you
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Elaine,

Perioscopy utilizes a very small camera that can be placed below the gum line along the root surface to see the root surface directly. If a crack is found then the tooth would need to be removed. If there is no fracture/crack then the periodontist will use small specialized instruments to to clean the root surface similar to scaling. It is scaling but not with the conventional instruments normally used by hygienists and dentists in the past. Pocket depth of 6-7 is moderate and if maintained you will not lose your tooth. If your home care is not maintained then your pocket depth will increase and eventually you may lose your tooth. But your pocket depth is not excessive so your should be ok as long as no fracture/crack is found. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?