Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My second set of molars on the lower jaw (18 and 31 I

Customer Question
believe) need to be extracted...
My second set of molars on the lower jaw (18 and 31 I believe) need to be extracted. One of them had a pulpotomy done after a failed root canal attempt. I have a rare allergy to lidocaine (the synthetic used in it; I break out in hives) so carbocaine is usually used. I had one oral surgeon tell me I have long roots and would do better sedated under propofal. As someone who works in the medical field myself (I work in cardiology), I have seen what can go wrong when using anesthesia and am pretty set against it. I've had a top tooth removed with just carbocaine but I understand the bottom is more tricky especially the one with the pulpotomy. I do have a really high pain tolerance but am wondering if lower extractions are ever even done with just carbocaine? I thought about getting one done at a time. Also can bone grafts be done after the fact or can they be done with the extraction despite carbocaine not lasting very long? Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
5/30/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

Lower extractions are very commonly done with Carbocaine alone. Virtually every individual with high blood pressure requiring a tooth extraction has the procedure performed with Carbocaine. It should pose no problem. Like yourself, I would be reluctant to undergo treatment with propofal. Additional Carbocaine can be administered as needed to extend the period of anesthesia.

Bone grafts are often best performed at the time of extraction. But they can generally be done later.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Do you need additional information ?

Dr Shernan

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Please let me know if you need additional information. If I've answered your question, please leave a positive rating for me.

Thanks,

Dr Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan