How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 5762
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I thought I had a canker sore in my mouth on the left lower

Customer Question

I thought I had a canker sore in my mouth on the left lower side below the tooth line (in the deep recess of the that area. I could hardly chew my food as it would hurt. I have a tube of ORAJEL and tried to find the exact area to apply a small amount. I guess I did get some on that sore area, but on further investigation, I discovered upon touching my neck on the outside, below my chin line, I have a lump that is sore to touch. This corresponds to the area inside my mouth. Do I see an MD or a Dentist?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  LadyDMD replied 1 year ago.

A Dentist will know exactly how to handle this. What you have is not uncommon and is caused from the "canker sore". The other situation may be a tooth with periapical pathology. Hence, a tooth that may need a root canal therapy. No matter - get to a Dentist and they can handle what you have there!