Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Why do we get tongue sores

Customer Question
Why do we get tongue sores
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
5/16/2016
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

There are a lot of possible causes for tongue sores:

- a fungal infection
- a nutritional deficiency
-a reaction to spicy foodstuff or vinegar
- if you grind your teeth at night, you probably push the tongue against the teeth, causing pressure on the tongue from the friction and thus soreness
- glossitis (inflammation of the tongue) caused due to a viral infection
- Burning Mouth Syndrome due to stress and other psychosomatic factors
- oral mucosal conditions like Erosive Lichen Planus

The following additional advice is assuming that you currently have tongue sores:

For now, start taking multivitamins, particularly folic acid supplements. Do not gargle with Listerine or any such mouthwash.

If the soreness persists for more than 2 weeks, see a dentist. If you stay near a dental school, I suggest you visit the Orofacial Pain/Oral Medicine department there .A full assessment is required to eliminate any underlying cause.

There is no need to be scared/worry/panic. This is nothing dangerous.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist