How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Root Canal Doctor Your Own Question
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1757
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Root Canal Doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Very bad pain in jaw with a marble size lump under my tongue

Customer Question

Very bad pain in jaw with a marble size lump under my tongue that goes all the way under the jaw and into my neck were the pain has been increasing with each hour that passes. So please if you have any idea of what is the cause of all my pain please answer ASAP
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry you are having this problem now. If your teeth are not bothering you then most swellings under the tongue directly involve the salivary glands. When a salivary duct becomes blocked your saliva backs up and then you get pain and swelling. Similar to a clog in a water pipe. The Sublingual and/or Submandibular glands are the ones that are involved. Blockages can occur from salivary stones and infections. If it is a stone causing your problem you can try sour candies to increase salivary flow to unblock the ducts. Warm compresses are also helpful. If it is s bacterial infection then antibiotics will be needed. I suggest that if the first 2 options do not help you should call either your dentist or an Oral Surgeon for help.. If they are not available then an urgent care center would be your next option. Please do not wait and let this swelling get out of hand. So if you cannot reach your normal caregivers please do go the urgent care. Hope this at least gives you some direction. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. Please leave a positive rating because that is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, did you need more information?

Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, are you ok or still in pain?