Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I cracked a molar went to dentist had old filling removed

Customer Question
drilling done and a new...
I cracked a molar went to dentist had old filling removed drilling done and a new filling. however, I went back 2 days later because it still hurts. dentist says crack extends below gum line, rtc is not an option, next step is extraction. I don't want to lose the tooth, she prescribed amoxicillin and I am taking ibuprofen for the pain. do you think the nerve is likely to settle down and heal and how long shall I suffer in pain before considering extraction?
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: did you read my first answer?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
5/12/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

If your tooth is cracked deeply and the nerve is inflamed the tooth is not restorable, nor will the nerve heal, unfortunately. Amoxicillin will not make a significant difference in your pain due to the nerve inflammation. I wish I could tell you otherwise. Once the crack extends into the nerve, the inflammation is irreversible. In addition, if the tooth is cracked far enough below the gumline there is not sufficient sound tooth structure exposed to prepare and seat a crown. When this occurs, the only option is extraction and replacement if you choose to do so.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan