Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I keep loosing the same filling over an over again, about

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I keep loosing the same filling over an over again, about 2-3weeks after the dentist refills it.. I haven't had any problems with the other filling, only with 1 filling that i've lost 3 times
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: And the dentist Doesn't
charges me again for the filling
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

That sounds very frustrating....

The repeated loss of the same filling has three likely possible explanations :

1. Inadequate restoration - It is possible that the shape created by the dentist is inadequate. A filling requires that the tooth be prepared in such a way that there is adequate "retention" for the filling.

2. It is possible that the filling material itself is inadequate to "retain" the filling. For example, sometimes composite does not have adequate "bonding" capacity or strength to stay in place.

3. Certain defects in a tooth or cavities can make it extremely difficult for the dentist to make a filling that stays in place. This can be due to a tooth with too little remaining tooth structure to hold a filling or a filling in a location such that contact from the other teeth causes it to be dislodged repeatedly. This may require a different type of restoration, such as a crown.

Perhaps your dentist can explain what the problem is in your specific case.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Be well,

Dr Shernan