Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

My gums are really swollen by my molars on top and botom I

Customer Question

My gums are really swollen by my molars on top and botom I can barely get a tooth brush back there also almost like a line on inside of my cheeks?
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.
Customer: My jaws and ears ache and it's whitish behind my molars and my tongue has had a whit/brown film that wont go away?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Sound like anything to yiu?
JA: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?
Customer: I was pregnant when it started but otherwise my teeth are fine actually really nice teeth!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

From your description you have gingivitis that is more severe and localized around your molars. This is generally precipitated by plaque and debris that is left or becomes trapped in gingival (gum) "pockets" around the teeth. Swelling is a response to the inflammation.Bleeding often accompanies the other symptoms. The hormonal changes during pregnancy can exacerbate the issue and increase the swelling.

This can usually be easily treated. But it is important that you see your dentist for a more specific diagnosis and treatment.

In the interim, it is often helpful to rinse with a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of salt. Also, you can mix 3% Hydrogen peroxide solution (available at the drugstore - in a brown bottle) with water. The mixture should be one part peroxide solution to three parts water. You can rinse with this solution periodically (do not swallow though) or apply it to the affected gums for a few days. This ban be very beneficial in reducing the swelling and inflammation. But do call your dentist.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.

Be well,

Dr Shernan