Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have had to have all my teeth pulled & it seems since I

Customer Question
got the top teeth I...
I have had to have all my teeth pulled & it seems since I got the top teeth I started having terrible burning in my mouth. Unable to drink many things, especially pop. Last week my dentist pulled the last 5 bottom front teeth & immediately put the new dentures in. In a few hours my mouth was swollen & the pain unbearable. The bottom false teeth hurt so bad. I went back to the dentist the next day & he had the tech. Adjust them. It just got worse. I got a fever & was crying as he told me not to take them out or my gums would swell & I wouldn't be able to get them back in. I have list 7 pounds this week, unable to eat. I went in today & the dentist said just take them out & let it heal. He gave me more pain Med's. I am so much better but wondering if I could be allergic to my new teeth ?? Thanks so much for listening to me. I am 68 yrs old & do not cry easily in front of people but the tears just ran down my cheeks while I was at the dentist. I am still black & blue. I had to have 14 stitches which he removed today. He wants to see me back this next Monday. I have this raw tongue that I've had over a year. Everything burns me. I am so tired of this. I loved Coke & I can never drink it again. Sorry, I keep going on & on but it has been a near unbearable day. Thanks again.
JA: I oddly love going to my dentist, it's so relaxing. I know I'm a freak but I love having a big white smile and he's the guy that keeps it looking good. Our Expert will help you relax about your teeth so you can smile too. Is there anything else important you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: Just this severe burning mouth & wondering if I could be allergic to my false teeth ?? Thank you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
4/27/2016
Dentist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. It sounds like you had a secondary bacterial infection. You are unlikely to be allergic to your false teeth as they are inert. The swelling was inflammation from the surgery, and maybe a reaction to the sutures he placed. Hopefully as the swelling goes down, you will be able to be refit for the dentures. Did he give you an antibiotic like clindamycin?

Your problem with pain in your mouth could be Burning Mouth Syndrome. It can be related to a variety of problems, but usually stems from excessive dryness in the mouth. There are new medications to treat this disorder, but first you need a diagnosis. Did you discuss this with your dentist? Dr Frank

I hope I was able to answer your question, please get back to me if you have further questions and I will respond. If satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician