Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had 6 upper teeth pulled this afternoon, my last 6 teeth

Customer Question
I had 6 upper...

I had 6 upper teeth pulled this afternoon, my last 6 teeth there and they gave me the teeth. I had seen an endo who said they all were dead, they did not response to cold or electrcial tests, and I have severe Sjogrens and Lupus. Today the oral surgeon said did not look bad, but you can't see death became it is inside. The botto, of the teeth are dark on many and the one thing that is weird is that the tips, the roots are kinda dark and see through, is that normal?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
4/21/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

You are correct - you cannot visually determine if the teeth were vital ("you can't see death"). But if the endodontist's tests indicated that they were non-vital ("dead"), he was likely correct. The tests he performed are effective indicators.

To answer your question : The appearance of these teeth - dark root tip & "see through" translucence is normal - whether the teeth were vital or not.

I wish you a quick recovery and best treatment.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I would very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I included a picture of the teeth did those look normal, the oral surgeon said they look questionable.

Also when having this many teeth pulled how long should bleeding go on?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes - I saw the picture. It was helpful.

I think the endodontist was likely correct.

Bleeding should slow and stop after a couple of hours. There should be no more than "spotting" after that. If there is more than spotting of blood it would be wise to call your dentist.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Could you answer my question about the teeth, and how they look to you?

I am reading darker or see through root tips indicate no blood supply and is not normal?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello Marie,

The teeth look like typical extracted teeth. There is no definitive way of determining whether or not they appear"dead" (vital) from a picture, though. There are always variations in appearance. But non-vital teeth do tend to appear somewhat more dark and translucent ("see through"), as do these teeth.

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

so they appear to be a bad color, which I know and the see through part at bottom more common in dead teeth?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello there,

Yes, that would be my informed opinion.

Dr. Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok, lastly he did not stitch me up, could that be making bleeding more?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

It is often not necessary to suture (stitch). That's a judgement call made by the dentist depending on the extractions being performed. But if bleeding is more than spotting / a trickle after several hours, you should call your dentist and inform him.

Dr Shernan.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I did they said I could bleed for a while had them pull 3 hours ago

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Bleeding should slow to a trickle or spotting within the next few hours. If not, you should call your dentist and inform him.

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok thanks, ***** ***** think the teeth look unhealthy?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

I would say so. But the only way to determine that for certain would be to see them prior to extraction and see the results of the tests that were performed by the endodontist.

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

But I mean know the endo dentists said they were dead or dying and I had had all root canals fail. SO you think they look unhealthy?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

As I mentioned, it is an educated guess as to whether or not extracted teeth look healthy. This needs to be determined by seeing the teeth in the bone before extraction - and with xrays - to determine the health of the teeth with any certainty.

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok I get you did not do any testing, I am just asking if these look like healthy teeth?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

can you tell me if they teeth look normal or bad?

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

As I mentioned, a dentist cannot say definitively whether the teeth appear healthy or not without having seen them in your mouth before extraction. I do not see decay or fracture on the teeth.. But if the bone was poor, if they were deemed non-vital by an endodontist, etc, the would be deemed "unhealthy".

I have answered your question to the very best of my ability. Perhaps another expert can answer to your satisfaction. So I will opt out and open the question to the rest of the JA forum.

Best of luck with your treatment,

Dr Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Relist: Answer quality.
I feel this expert has repeated the same answer several times, I am asking if my teeth seem normal or look bad at all, even the surgeon thought the looked bad.
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan