Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

How do I treat a sore tongue?

Customer Question
how do I treat a sore tongue?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
4/13/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

The method to treat a sore tongue depends on the underlying cause.

If the tongue is irritated from overly ho or spicy foods, or mechanical irritation (brushing too hard or exposing your tongue to trauma) you've tried the first likely approaches - baking soda and salt water rinse. But if the discomfort does not resolve within a few days it would be wise to have your dentist evaluate your issue for the underlying cause. This can include a Candida A. infection, which would appear whitish. It could be due to another condition, known as "geographic tongue". Both of these are generally quite harmless conditions that present as discoloration - and often soreness.

Chances are, your sore tongue (glossitis) is due to burn spicy food or mechanical irritation and will heal quickly on its own.

Using a solution of 3% Hydrogen peroxide (available at the drugstore) mixed one part Peroxide and three parts water can help to reduce the inflammation quickly. Rinse for 15 seconds. But use caution - sometimes individuals can be sensitive to this rinsing. Discontinue if your discomfort is increased, of course.

And, most importantly, as mentioned, if the issue does not resolve within a few days it would be wise to have your dentist evaluate your issue for the underlying cause.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort. That is how I am paid for my work here.

Be Well,

Dr Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan