How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Root Canal Doctor Your Own Question
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1609
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Root Canal Doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Believe I have an abcess where can I go now ?

Customer Question

Believe I have an abcess where can I go now for relief ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, for a dental abscess you will need to see a dentist for relief. If that is not possible then an urgent care center or emergency room visit would be needed to at least get an antibiotic for the infection. The antibiotics for dental infections is either Amoxicillin 500mg or Clindamycin 300mg. These are the two drugs of choice for this problem. Warm salt water rinses are also great to do: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Do not out any heat on the outside of your face. For pain you can alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. The best thing would be to see a dentist as soon as you can. If you need more information please let me know. Please remember to accept my response so that I credit for doing it. Thanks and good luck.
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, did you need more information?

Related Dental Questions