Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Can an infection that has been going on for years under a

Customer Question
crown, resulting in resorption of...
Can an infection that has been going on for years under a crown, resulting in resorption of the tooth, affect a person's mental status?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
4/9/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

It is highly unlikely that the symptoms that you were experiencing had anything to do with the tooth.The body is set up so that localized infections in the mouth will drain into the lymphatics under the angle of the jaw The reason that you may not have had any swelling is that the bacteria from the decayed tooth under the crown was just leaking into your mouth.You may have even had a bad taste in your mouth for a while..The bacteria,if trapped under the crown would cause leakage at the root tip and if you had an infection you would get some localized swelling long before your infection would ever become systemic.Systemic infections from teeth or exceedingly rare.Your blood pressure and low grade fever likely have some other origin.Probably the best thing to do at this point would be to get a full medical workup,let them run some basic lab tests and I am sure that your MD can get to the bottom of this.If you have further questions please ask.

Is there any other information that you need?

Can you please leave a rating when you get a chance so that we can maintain good quality control on this site ? .Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)