How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stewart Shernan Your Own Question
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 373
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Stewart Shernan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a broken molar that has been broken for YEARS. I

Customer Question

I have a broken molar that has been broken for YEARS. I recently had an infection so bad that I couldn't even work for days. I was put on kflex to get rid of the infection and after that combined with coconut oil the pain went away and I've since had no more. I just noticed a fairly large rock hard lump in between my infected tooth and my cheek. It doesn't hurt if I touch it or push and there is no white puss area that I can see. What does this sound like? I can't afford to see a dentist at this moment. Although I know its probably serious, that doesn't put money in my pocket so any advice would help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

From your description, you likely have an abscess that has spread beyond your tooth and into the adjacent tissue - your cheek. I wish I could tell you otherwise - truly. But you need to see a dentist (or call your physician or go to an emergency room as soon as you're able). Antibiotics may be able to contain the spread of the infection.That is important,because this type of situation has the potential to worsen and affect your general health. But antibiotics are probably essential for you as soon as possible.

I would strongly recommend that you see a dentist asap as well. In the interim, if you can have a physician prescribe antibiotics it would be wise.

I'm sorry for your issue. And I hope you're feeling 100% very soon.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd very much appreciate a positive rating for my effort.

Be well,

Dr Shernan