Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Reoccuring throat ulcer after sharing a drink, hsv1 or

Customer Question
Reoccuring throat ulcer after sharing...
Reoccuring throat ulcer after sharing a drink, hsv1 or sudden gerd upset? Have a picture of the ulcer. It likes to hide behind uvula ūüėĎ
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very painful, dry rough feel when I swallow.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also have a couple tiny non yellow, red border ones on tongue, although have had these when I was young as just canker sores. The one on throat, I've only recently had, feels different.
4/4/2016
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Just Dental Truths!

Ouch, they are annoying, are they not?

If you don't already have any, I'd run down to the closest drug store/Walmart and get some topical benzoocaine (20%)(Canker Cover is a good one), and apply the topical benzocaine to the area by your uvula with a cue tipped swab. It will numb the area well, after two or three applications. Long enough to get to sleep is the idea. And, you may likely need to use it for a few nights like that. But it wokrs pretty decently.

Again, topical benzocaine - 20% if you can find that high of dosage. Can't really over use it, even if applied a half a dozen times tonight. Give it a try! And, of course, the sore spot should go away in a few days. If not, check with your Dentist or Physician, but they usually go away in a few short days. I hope this helps. Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the advice, I've had it for 4 days already, but I'm looking to know what it is...does it look like hsv1 or 2?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ūüėĎ this is my first time using this, definately not worth the money if the physician/dentist is going to dodge my actual question for a sugared up generic answer. I know I can numb the darn sore, I want to know what it is.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Duped!! Want my 22$ back!!

HSV1 as compared to HSV2 is primarily a case of location. 1 is primarily around the lips/mouth. 2 is primarily around genitals. Here is a good website: www.herpes.com/hs1-2.html

You may want to look at some Google images as well. It appears to be either a valid sore area and not even HSV1, or possibly could be HSV1.

Either way; I'd NOT worry much. It address the soreness/pain issues, give it another few days, and GENERALLY these sore spots diminish uneventful. If, for some reason it linger, a biopsy could be done, and you could have 100% positive identification & knowledge of certainty what it is. Personally, I can't say it is or isn't HSV1 with certainty, but it could be. The biggest problem, is most of us, see sores in our mouths and tend to think the worst. DON'T! It tends to go away on it's own, and stays dormant by and large. I don't mean to completely downplay everything... It's just that too often it is amped up too much, in all of our (humans we are) minds.

______________________

I'd give it several more days, if not gone, you could get a simple test with a cotton swab by your Dentist or Physician. But don't worry too much about this guy. I was thinking the pain was the issue for you primarily, which it generally is for many of us.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for trying to make me feel unworried. Didn't think there would be another response. I'll get a swab, thanks for the numbing advice.

You are welcome!

Even if we are talking HSV1, it is quite common. Generally mouth to mouth contact. Viral. Often remains dormant. Most people tend to think the worst, but they shouldn't!

*If you have any further concerns, please don't hesitate. You can ask questions, without JustAnswer charging you additional $ for another 6 days - alright?

Let me know if that sore isn't gone in a few days OK--

Please DO rate my answer. Thx

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist