Dental

I recently had a crowned tooth re-crowned due to a cavity…

I recently had a crowned...
I recently had a crowned tooth re-crowned due to a cavity being found after the old crown was removed. After the anesthesia wore off, I noticed sensitivity to cold AND pressure when chewing food. I also noticed when I floss... Read full answer
I recently had a crowned tooth re-crowned due to a cavity being found after the old crown was removed. After the anesthesia wore off, I noticed sensitivity to cold AND pressure when chewing food. I also noticed when I floss that the floss hits the top of the crown near the gum line and the string pops, almost as if the crown doesn't go fit all the way up to the gum line. Sorry if I am confusing you. I just felt the area with my fingernail and, YIKES, there is sensitivity, even 10 minutes later.
I gave it about a month to resolve and then returned to the dentist. He adjusted the crown, thinking that was the problem. He also adjusted a very old crown next to it and now it has very sharp edges. There is also a new crown on the other side, next to the sensitive one, that was put on at the same time. I grind my teeth at night so he made me a dental guard to wear while I sleep. I couldn't wear it as it was too tight so he adjusted it and told me to be sure to wear it as this might be the problem. I walked out of his office very frustrated as I really don't think not wearing the night guard is the problem.
Do you have any insight or suggestions or questions I can ask him when I return to his office. In fact, I'm thinking of making an appointment with an endodontist. Would that be a good idea?
Help, please! Thank you!
3/30/2016
Just Dental Truths!

So sorry you are having problems!

The endodontist will look at the possible need for a root canal. I would have done as you, waited a month(ish) to see if any improvement. It may well be time to possibly have the endodontist look at the tooth, so your choice to see such, is a pretty heads up move. Ask him if he sees any apical abscess or valid cause for a root canal? Would he suggest a root canal, if the x-rays & your teeth were his Mother's teeth/x-rays. That may be a good question. Perhaps he could also adjust the dental guard, or if not, your Dentist could...

Lastly, "some" post-operative pain is frequently associated with moderate dental work, but if you've waited over a month, it is true that you "may" need a root canal. Sorry to tell you that, but it may be better than having the migraines. I hope this helps you. DO ask the endodontist some of the above questions, etc.

Dr. Rampton

*PS- if you have any further concerns/questions, please do not hesitate - OK?

Thank you for your reply. My dentist said when he filled the cavity that he did not see the nerve so he continued with the new crown. I've also taken 800 mg prescription strength Inuprofen and it helps.Could the cold sensitivity just be coming from the crown not covering up my own tooth near the gum line? Like I mentioned, it feels like I can feel the edge of the crown at the gum line.So the pressure sensitivity could also be caused by the nerve dying?

Likely the pain is from one of the following:

1) If the crown is not fully seated properly (which would have made your crown need a lot of adjustments by your Dentist when he cemented it), and your Dentist would know the answer "best" to this possibility.

2) Nerve injured beyond it's own capability to repair itself. Generally if a tooth is sore after Dental work, it's somewhat normal. But to hurt and/or get worse for a month or more, generally indicates the nerve may be beyond it's capability to repair itself. And you "likely" may need a root canal. Sorry...

3) If the current/present day x-rays show an abscess, you'll positively need a root canal. The endodontist could & would take a picture of the root tip for this possibility. Your regular Dentist also could take this x-ray, but you'd want a current up to this present date x-ray picture.

4) It happens more than any of us want to admit. We, as dentists work on a tooth, often a "deep" filling/crown, etc., and the tooth's pain gets not only worse, but much worse, and won't go away without a root canal. There is a correlation. A shallow filling/crown, is little to not sensitive, and subsides. A deeper filling/crown can go from sensitive to very, very sensitive. Often given a month or so, and if continues, a root canal is often what a patient has to succumb to (sadly). It's most often NOT the dentist fault at all, he surely did the drilling, but the drilling was necessary. And sadly, the tooth just sometimes does not rebound from the trauma/pain...

Does that make any sense?

Does the above make sense?

Sorry, some technical difficulties - the posting keeps listing both (yours and mine) comments as coming from you - the customer.

Just Dental Truths!
it makes sense. Thank you for our honest and helpful input.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I live in Connecticut in the U.S. In the beginning of
I live in Connecticut in the U.S.In the beginning of January, I had a crown done on my bottom right first molar #30. I had the temporary placed which felt like a good fit. When the dentist put in the … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
My new dentist crowned a root canaled bottom jaw tooth. My
My new dentist crowned a root canaled bottom jaw tooth. My tooth is very short and the endodontist built it up when he performed the root canal. My new dentist made a mold of the tooth with the build … read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I had a small cavity filled (between two upper right teeth)
Hi, I had a small cavity filled (between two upper right teeth) 2.5 months ago. About a month later, I started noticing pain when I would eat, usually hard or crunchy foods. My dentist thought the fil… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Stop searching for answers—
I have some questions about a sore tooth. No swelling or
No swelling or anything, I saw him this morning and just kind of want to get a second opinion and more info. … read more
Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS
Periodontist/Implantologist,
Certificate of Military Education
I just had 3 teeth recrowned. 2 upper back left; and 1 lower
I just had 3 teeth recrowned. 2 upper back left; and 1 lower back left. Temporary crown placed for two weeks. No problem! Within a day of having permanent crowns placed experiencing sensitivity when d… read more
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dentist,
DDS
Continuing on from all my previous questions about my front
Hi, continuing on from all my previous questions about my front tooth, I recently saw the dentist who filed it down again. My symptoms are the same as when I last posted on here. Pain if I press and r… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I had two root canals done in May. One on a previous root
I had two root canals done in May. One on a previous root canal where a dentist had missed a canal years ago. It became abssessed. They went thru an old crown fixed it and my dentist fixed the crown. … read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
I have had slight pain in one or more teeth in the upper
I have had slight pain in one or more teeth in the upper right half of my mouth (all have crowns and have had root canals. Two back teeth have a large pocket) but several dentist have been unable to f… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Mid-September, I was having teeth pain and was unable to
Mid-September, I was having teeth pain and was unable to identify which of six teeth (3 upper and 3 lower on the left side-minus wisdom teeth) were the culprit. After a dozen visits to the dentist and… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Sometime ago I had my first ever filling done on the top
Hello, sometime ago I had my first ever filling done on the top edge of tooth #30, next to tooth #31. Right after the anesthesia wore off, I started having pain on tooth #31. This pain came mostly fro… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
I have 2 teeth (one at front; one beside it) keeps tingle
I have 2 teeth (one at front; one beside it) keeps tingle but no pain for 1week already. I can feel nerve pulling back on This 2 teeth when I lie down. I went to dentist for check, no gum infection/re… read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
I just had 6 new crowns on my front teeth. My dentist fit me
I just had 6 new crowns on my front teeth. My dentist fit me for a night guard, and it was too tight. He has attempted to adjust it several times. It continues to give me the sensation of pushing my f… read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a tooth ache. the dentist did a root canal about a
I have a tooth ache. the dentist did a root canal about a year ago. I had problems after that so he kept a temp crown on for a while. Then he put the perm on. Since then every now and again I get a pa… read more
Dr. Gerard
Dr. Gerard
DENTIST,
Old crown and temporary new crown did not hurt, permanent
Old crown and temporary new crown did not hurt, permanent one does when chewing I had an old crown replaced a couple of weeks ago. The original crown always had a little too wide spacing between the v… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
My boyfriend has had really sore teeth he has found a hole
hi my boyfriend has had really sore teeth he has found a hole in 1 of his tooth can u tell me what it is please… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
For the past 3 weeks or so, my two front top teeth have felt
For the past 3 weeks or so, my two front top teeth have felt "tingly", and sensitive, but no pain. They feel this way without any stimulation such as eating or drinking. At the same time, I also had a… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I was experiencing tooth sensitivity in my furthest back
I was experiencing tooth sensitivity in my furthest back molar and seemed like my tooth had raised up to the point when I would bite down, that would be the first tooth to hit and was very, very painf… read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
Thanks for taking the question,I have two of them,the first
Hi there,Thanks for taking the question,I have two of them,the first one is that I have had two crowns put in on the right upper side of my mouth,one last year and one recently.The one last year in th… read more
Doctor Nash
Doctor Nash
President Emeritus,