Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a wisdom tooth extraction 10 days ago and didn't

Customer Question

Hi I had a wisdom tooth extraction 10 days ago and didn't receive stitches and the socket is pain free. However, the the gum that should be attached to the tooth next to the wisdom tooth is no longer attached. Will this heal on it's own or should I get it seen to as it is causing me a great deal of pain
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The gum will heal on its own.It heals from the bottom up and even if it seems unattached,new tissue will form over the bone in this area and will heal by itself.It is best to leave the area alone and not brush in that area while the healing takes place.In most cases,this are will lay down new tissue in 6 days.If you would like to upload a picture of this area,I would be glad to look at it for you.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Can you describe the type of pain that you are having? Is it localized to this area or does it go deeper and is it more widespread?