Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have had a porcelain to metal crown for about 5 years now

Customer Question
without any issue. Last week...
I have had a porcelain to metal crown for about 5 years now without any issue. Last week I accidentally bit down on an olive pit and now the crown has been bothering my tongue. Is it possible to bend a crown or is it most likely that I roughed up the surface of the crown? It does not feel loose or painful but my bite feels off.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
3/25/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

In all likelihood, a piece of the porcelain has fractured and broken off. If the fractured porcelain was on the biting surface of the crown, it would certainly affect the the bite feel - and be rough as well. Since the metal "coping" under the porcelain is far less likely to fracture, the tooth under the crown is likely well protected. But it would be wise to consult with your dentist to evaluate the extent of the damage and decide what should be done to fix the problem.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating for my effort would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi there,

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating for my effort would be much appreciated - that is how we are paid for our work.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan