Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My gums.are really bad leavening my teeth from over 30 yr.of

Customer Question
dipping .if I quit now...
My gums.are really bad leavening my teeth from over 30 yr.of dipping .if I quit now will my gums grow back up to my teeth all show brown color where skin use to be .all teeth are tight but gums are low bad low
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
3/21/2016
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The most common cause of gum recession is gum disease called periodontitis, which is brought on by a build up of plaque and tartar. Other causes are:

a)Bulbous roots

b)Crooked teeth

c)Thin labial bone

d)Thin biotype gingival tissue

e) Toothbrush trauma (aggressive brushing with a hard brush)

f)Traumatic occlusion

g)Nail biting / pen chewing

h)Orthodontic tooth movements

Treating recession: (Getting gums back to cover your teeth as they should)

The best way to treat recession (caused by periodontitis) is to get a deep cleaning procedure done by your dentist. The plaque and tartar is removed, and the surface of the root is smoothened out so that bacteria find it more difficult to attach to it. This is called as root planing.

But if deep cleaning is not possible , or the recession is very advanced, then various types of gum surgeries can be done like:

A gum tissue graft
A pocket depth reduction surgery
A regenerative surgery

How to prevent/control recssion at home:

Yes, quite dipping now !

Also, maintain excellent oral hygiene. Change to a soft brush and brish twice a day.

Do you also floss? If no, I cannot tell you how important flossing is. Please start flossing as soon as you can.

In addition to this, maintain a well balanced diet, closely monitor changes in your mouth, and see a periodontist or a dentist every 4 months.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist