Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My jaw was locked and I couldn't open my mouth this morning…

Customer Question
My jaw was locked and...
My jaw was locked and I couldn't open my mouth this morning on the left side. Eventually it popped into place. I get intense pain in the side of my face. And have had clicking sounds. is this a dental problem or medical?i would like to be seen a Kaiser for this because that is where I have the coverage
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
3/8/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

This is a dental problem that is handled by an oral surgeon. Many times oral surgeons can bill under your medical plan but medical doctors refer patients with problems with their temporomandibular joints to oral surgeons. I am not sure of the exact stipulation that Kaiser has with your particular plan.Most of the time Kaiser will have selected oral surgeons that participate with your particular plan and you would need to select an oral surgeon near you that participates.Does that answer your question?

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)