Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a tooth removed today, it was rotting/cracked and the…

Customer Question
I had a tooth removed...
I had a tooth removed today, it was rotting/cracked and the nerve was exposed and causing severe pain. The tooth was completely removed... Do they take the nerve out too or is there any chance that this won't fix the problem and I will still have pain once it heals?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
3/8/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there – there's no need to worry. The nerve exists inside the tooth. So it is removed along with the tooth. With rare exception once the tooth is removed within a short period of time healing should take place. During this time there may be minor discomfort. You should follow your dentist's instructions. Within a few days to a week you should be comfortable. Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated. Be well – Dr. Shernan