Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Dentist is suggesting using a bite block to hold a surgical…

Customer Question
dentist is suggesting using a...
dentist is suggesting using a bite block to hold a surgical stint in place for surgery to install a post for an implant. I was at perio office today and rep from stent manufacturer [largest and 1st company to manufacture stents.. I have been told that the stent should fit tight. The west coast rep was there wit the periodontist to see about the stent fit. He said that the stent should be a little loose. its for the top front tooth. No plans to screw the stent to other teeth. The rep said that using a bite block during the 30 minute procedure would hold the stent steady. I can not find much info on this. The best info I received came from a dentist on JA [great advice/info] and I don't know if I should proceed. Is there any precedent for using a bite block to hold the stent. Any information anywhere about how often this is done??????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 2 days by:
3/10/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

I noticed you've been waiting for quite some time for an answer regarding use of a bite block to hold your implant stent in place. It seems you've got our panel stumped !

I'll be speaking with a friend of mine tomorrow. He's an extraordinary, prominent periodontist - and one of the foremost authorities on implant technique - a speaker for the foremost implant manufacturing company, etc.....

I'll speak to him regarding use of bite blocks in holding surgical stents for implants, etc. I think I understand the rationale of bite block use and why a bit of "looseness" could be necessary. But, rather than speculate, let me see if I can get you a definitive opinion.

Cheers,

Dr Shernan

Thanks, ***** ***** see on the references sent to me by another dentist says the guide should fit firn /tight, the guide us to place a. Post for s crown in upper front right tooth. The period is using s guide for the first time because the post will be very close to the bug nerve in front. Already had two bone grafts and talk if a third. The west coast rep system their guide should be a little loose and petiole does not know if should. Procedure was cancelled and plans are to get a second opinion by an implant specialist who had done many with the Nobel biogenetic and would have prior experience and would know if advice from rep is accurate. What is the responsibility of a Nobel biogenetic a sales rep???? He requested the stent the the dentist received be redone because he said that since I am a diabetic , the stent should be modified . Both first and second stent rocked when in place. So his does anyone know if it's seated right with the bite block????
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello there,

I'm waiting on a call back from my friend and peer, Dr T. As soon as I have any information I ca relate to you I will. Hopefully we can shed some light on this procedural question.

Best,

Dr Shernan

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago

Unfortunately I've heard no new information on use of a bite block to hold the stent. I'll continue to pursue an answer, but I'll open up the question to all experts who may have some insight.