Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

What is causing the metallic taste in my mouth

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2016
Dentist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

How long has this been bothering you?

Are you having any other symptoms?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

If the metallic taste is of short duration, the most common cause would be an infection of the upper airways, such as a cold or sinus infection.

If the metallic taste is of longer duration, there are many possible causes, and associated symptoms may suggest the underlying cause. The most common cause would be from chronic inflammation in the mouth, such as gingivitis or periodontitis. Anything that causes a dry mouth also can cause a metallic taste. Certainly, dehydration can cause a dry mouth, so drinking more fluids is reasonable. There are many other conditions that can cause a dry mouth, including conditions affecting the salivary glands as well as systemic conditions, such as diabetes or thyroid disease. A metallic taste also can occur as a side effect to certain medicines.

If the symptoms has been of short duration, it is reasonable to simply give it time to see if the symptoms resolve spontaneously. If the symptoms are of long duration and there are no associated symptoms to suggest a cause, it would be appropriate to see your doctor for a proper evaluation.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.