Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have these tiny dots on my gums and they are very

Customer Question

Hi I have these tiny white dots on my gums and they are very sensitive what are they?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there - I'd be happy to assist you.

Can you send a picture of these dots ?

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's as clear as I can get the picture

Hi there,

Usually white spots on the gums are the result of irritation to these tissues. This can be due to mechanical irritation, such as brushing too vigorously or with a hard toothbrush. Use of a softer brush, or better still, a good electric toothbrush, such as a Sonicare or Oral-B electric is advisable. Another cause of gum irritation is acidic, spicy or overly hot food. These spots are often sensitive - but not serious. The dots (and accompanying sensitivity) usually disappear by themselves within a few days. If the spots remain after 10 days, it may be prudent to consult with your dentist with an examination. In the interim be gentle with these areas and avoid additional irritation or trauma. Rinsing periodically with a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of table salt can help speed up the healing while soothing.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question - I'm happy to help. Otherwise I'd much appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have been there for awhile now I didn't think anything of it until the pain started.

Hello again,

It is not uncommon for these type of spots to linger even up to a few weeks. If that is the case, I would suggest avoiding overly hot acidic or spicy foods, alcohol or tobacco over the next few days. Also, brush gently. If this does not diminish the visibility and sensitivity of the spots I would recommend an in office consult with your dentist to definitively diagnose your issue. It is, however, not likely to be a serious issue, so please don't be overly concerned.

Please t me know if you need additional information to answer your question. If not, please leave a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan