Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday by my dentist. I still…

Customer Question
My name is***** had...

My name is***** had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday by my dentist. I still have a little pain and discomfort. It is relieved by rinses with salt water. I do not see a clot, it is just white and I see some suture. Should I be worried?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I am concerned about dry socket

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
3/4/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Aschel, having pain and mild discomfort following a wisdom tooth extraction is normal for a few days following the procedure. You will not it see the clot because it is deep within the socket. Most dry sockets develop in the first 24 to 72 hours. After this time period your chances of developing a dry socket is minimal and pain is the main indicator of a dry socket. Since your pain is controllable and is not increasing you do not have a dry socket. When the clot is in the socket there is no pain and heals from the bottom up and it can take 5-6 weeks to heal completely. There are no restrictions when eating so you can have anything you like. Do not be concerned about the color of the interior of the clot because it can be whitish, brown, reddish, and even slightly black. These are all considered normal and is part of the healing process. After 72 hours your chances of developing a dry socket is minimal. Sounds as if you are doing just fine and everything should heal very nicely. Does all this make sense to you?

Hi, did you need more information? If so, please let me know. Thanks.

How are you doing?

After having my wisdom tooth pulled and having a cavity filled on the same side; my gum is still tender and I am taking pain meds (Motrin, Advil or Tylenol # 3) every 6-8 hours. I was not prescribed any antibiotics. I also still have a little swelling from the dental work. Should I be concerned?

Hi Aschel, having tender gums is normal but swelling is not after 6 days following treatment. So yes I would be concerned. I suggest you call your dentist and ask for an Rx of either Amoxicillin 500mg or Clindamycin 300mg to ensure that any bacteria present are eliminated. Do you have any tenderness to biting or chewing on the cavity repaired tooth? Any sensitivity to hot or cold foods? Is your swelling located only inside your mouth and if so is it around the extraction site or the repaired tooth? Thanks.

The swelling has been there since day on at the bottom of my face near lower jaw. I no pain when chewing or biting down. And as soon as I take the pain medicine everything resolves. The tenderness feels like it in the gum junction where one ends and another begans

Thanks. I suggest you call your dentist and have them check the extraction site and your swelling and you will most likely be given an antibiotic as a precaution. Please be sure it is one of the ones I wrote about earlier as they are specific for dental infections. For now start using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face. Better to have it checked out so that you will be sure everything is healing properly. That is what I would do if I were you. OK?

Is your swelling improving? If not, please call your dentist for an evaluation.

How are you doing?

Were you able to see a dentist?