Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

My upper first and second premolars on both sides are broken

Customer Question

Hello. My upper first and second premolars on both sides are broken off at the gum line.my second and 3rd molars on the left. I also had my 3rd molar extracted on the upper right.My dentist wants to extract them. He has said that I should replace them with them with implants if possible but I can't afford that. However I am afraid to have them pulled because I read something in his office about how when a tooth is extracted, the jaw bone resorbs, and this can lead to a "sunken in face" like you see in older people.If my dentist does extract these four teeth, and does bone grafting, but it takes me a few years to come up with the money for implants, will my face sink in? Im I'm terrified of that happening because that will be a total of like 7 or 8 teeth upper teeth missing. Someone please let me know. Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

Hello there - I'd be happy to assist you with your question

Hello there,

Yes - implants are expensive. However, in my opinion (a few decades of experience - much with implants). Ideally, once a tooth is extracted and bone grafting completed, you should have the implant procedure time within a reasonable period of time. However, this is not always feasible for people - it's very expensive. So, if you cannothave the implants and crowns one immediately, it is feasible to have the teethe extracted and have a tempoarary appliance fabricated that will prevent the appearance of "sunken face". It is important, though, to have the process supervised by a dentist (ideally a periodontist - a specialist in soft tissues (gums) and supporting alveolar bone oversee the process. This will insure that the resorption of bone is minimized while you save for the implants. if managed properly, generally, an individual can wait following the extractions to save the funds for the necessary implants and expect an outcome that doesn't look like a sunken face of an older person.

Regardless of whether you elect to have implants or a less expensive alternative, such as a removeable partial denture, the "sunken face" appearance can be avoided by a competant dentist. That need not be a concern. manage as best you can in the interim. your appearance will be fine either way, whether you opt for implants (the best option) or a more affordable option such as a removable partial denture. As a cosmetic focused dentist for many years, I've had much experience with both approaches

Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Hi Jason,

If you need additional information to answer your question let me know - I'd be happy to provide it. Otherwise a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Be well,

Dr Shernan