Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Can you smoke after a root canal? Got done about 2 hours

Customer Question

Can you smoke after a root canal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Got done about 2 hours ago. Tooth was not extracted. Not talking about cigarettes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

My assumption here is that the intent of your question is whether smoking will affect the outcome of your root canal therapy. In that regard, I am unaware of any documented adverse effects of smoking of any kind on the outcome of root canal therapy.

Be advised that any residual numbness of the mouth or lips from the local anesthetic may make the act of smoking hazardous, as it may impair the ability to hold the smoking delivery system (regardless of what it is), and may present a fire hazard. Otherwise, the risks of smoking would relate more to the adverse effects on the digestive, respiratory, and cardiovascular systems rather than the root canal treatment outcome.

Hope this helps...