Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Can you smoke after a root canal? Got done about 2 hours…

Customer Question
Can you smoke after...

Can you smoke after a root canal?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Got done about 2 hours ago. Tooth was not extracted. Not talking about cigarettes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
2/29/2016
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

My assumption here is that the intent of your question is whether smoking will affect the outcome of your root canal therapy. In that regard, I am unaware of any documented adverse effects of smoking of any kind on the outcome of root canal therapy.

Be advised that any residual numbness of the mouth or lips from the local anesthetic may make the act of smoking hazardous, as it may impair the ability to hold the smoking delivery system (regardless of what it is), and may present a fire hazard. Otherwise, the risks of smoking would relate more to the adverse effects on the digestive, respiratory, and cardiovascular systems rather than the root canal treatment outcome.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist