Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Can a porcelin crown on the back right side be used again if

Customer Question
it is removed careful...
can a porcelin crown on the back right side be used again if it is removed careful
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
2/28/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hi Gina,

If a crown has been removed to repair decay underneath, sometimes the crown can be used again, but it isn't common. The reason is that it's generally not possible to fill the area where the decay had been and still have a good fit with the old crown - the shape of the tooth underneath has changed. In addition, the margins of the crown (Where the edge of the crown meets the tooth & / or filling) will no longer fit well or be properly sealed, This will lead to additional decay & / or other problems. The dentist may feel that the damage to the tooth under the crown was extensive enough that a root canal is required. I can't say why he did not take an xray before filling the area. Although it is generally not possible to determine the full extent of damage under a crown with an xray because the crown actually prevents the xrays from depicting an accurate image of what is underneath.so the crown needs to be removed anyway in order to assess and fix the problem. But that is a question you would need to ask him.

You can certainly seek a second opinion from another dentist of your choice - anywhere and any office that is convenient for you. If you already have had an xray of the tooth after the repair was done, I'd expect his office to allow you to take this xray for your second opinion. If the xray is suitable the second dentist may not need an additional xray, saving cost and unnecessary radiation.

Please let me know if you need any additional information to answer your question. If not, I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Please let me know if you need any more information to answer your question. If not, I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Thanks - and be well,

Dr Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan