Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Lezlie My issue is in Dec 2011 I had a tooth #4 pulled and a…

Customer Question
Lezlie My issue is...

Lezlie My issue is in Dec 2011 I had a tooth #4 pulled and a BruxZir bridge put in covering #3, 4, and 5. Since the initial installation of the bridge until October 2014 it bridge has cracked and broken 5 times and had to be replaced. The owner of the dental corp. took over my case in Oct 2014. The bridge has broken 3-4 more times in the past year and now there is little tooth structure on #5. The dentist decided to use a PFM bridge this last time and it was so tight that it was giving me a headache so it was sent back to the lab to be remade. My question is, won't the bridge continue to crack and break if there is not enough tooth structure on #5 to hold it given the past breakage. I suggested laser crown lengthening on #5 or mini implants which the dentist said couldn't be done.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Right now I am in a temporary bridge. The dentist wants me to send pictures of my original teeth since I also complained that the teeth on the new bridge were short and tilted inward.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
2/27/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The PFM bridge has a metal base and is stronger and less prone to fracture than the all ceramic bridge that you had made.The problem that I see is that if any bridge continues to break or fall off more than one time, the problem is not only with the bridge,but with the person preparing it.There are many dentists out there that claim to do crown and bridgework but few have the skills to do it correctly.Your best bet if possible is to find a new dentist with more experience.The troubles that you are having with your bridges are out of the ordinary.There is an inherent problem with the way that the bridge was prepped and from your posting,I would suspect that the teeth were overprepped and there is not good retention at this point.If your bridge broke once,it would be a way different story.I am a little surprised that you continued with the same dentist after the second time it broke.It would be an appropriate time at this point to get a second more experienced dentist to look at what you have to determine if the teeth can still be used as planned.Something is not right with the present dentist that you are seeing.I am going to sign off for the night but will look for any further questions in the morning .