Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I swallowed a crown. Will it pass through the intestine? I…

Customer Question
I swallowed a crown...

I swallowed a crown. Will it pass through the intestine?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was getting ready for bed. I am a diabetic and I normally have a teaspoon of peanut butter before bed. The crown which was loose went down with the peanut butter.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
2/23/2016
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago
Stewart Shernan

Hello there,

The crown will most likely pass through your intestine. It would be extremely rare if this didn't happen within a day or so, assuming normal bowel movements. Some individualswill actually induce vomiting and others prefer to err on the side of extreme caution and opt to have xrays taken by their physician to monitor the movement of the crown through the intestine. Most people do not seek medical monitoring - the crown simply passes.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago

Let me know if you need additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd apprecite a positive rating.

Thanks,

Dr Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan