Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I just got porcelain veneers... not totally happy with them,

Customer Question
I just got porcelain...

I just got porcelain veneers... not totally happy with them

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Dentist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Dentist can help you best.

My questions are (1) I have six veneers on top -- it may look better with two more - can they be added later?

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dentist should be aware of?

(2) can one of the veneers be very slightly shortened?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

How long ago did you get the veneers? Did they let you look at the veneers in place before they cemented them?

yesterday... they let me look at the top but seemed to forget about the bottom
It was kind of hard to tell what the issues would be
The top teeth are just kind of big and bulky
I just got four on the bottom but they are starkly different than my natural teeth
Is there anyone there or is this just a moneymaking ripoff?

There are actually a lot of issues with veneers.One of them is that they are expensive.If you are not happy with them,they can be removed and remade.They also always make the tooth bulkier because so little preparation is done to the tooth and the thickness of the porcelain is always more than what they take off.Please be patient ,I am a slow typist

In addition to that,veneers are not really reliable restorations because the retention on them is minimal.They like to sell them to you because there is a big profit for the dentist and very little work that is done.

Do they have to be removed to be modified? Also, re lack of color match up, would there be any downside to using zoom whitening on the original visible teeth (other than having to periodically repeat it)?

A better restoration that gives better retention,better looks and protection for your teeth would be crowns or caps.They cost about the same and will last you far longer than any veneers will.

If it is just a slight adjustment ,they can be trimmed,but the bulk will still remain.Whitening is just temporary and needs to be repeated.Once the teeth are prepped for veneers,you need to cover them with veneers or crowns,whitening is not an option.

I have already invested 22k so really do not want to start all over again. I would like to make modifications or improvements. Did you say they can be shaved down slightly and that I can use whitening. Those two things would likely improve them to the point I could tolerate them

Veneers themselves cannot be whitened.The veneers can be removed and you can have new ones made.Did they explain to you prior to getting the veneers that your teeth would be bulkier?

If the veneers were just placed and you do not like them,the dentist is obligated to make them look and feel right even if they need to all be remade.They can also change the color.

Not bulkier.. except for one bottom tooth to fill in for some crowding

Again,they only remove a fraction of a millimeter of your tooth structure to construct a veneer but the veneer is over 1.5 mm thick.That is why veneers make the teeth bulkier.

my dentist took a lot off the front teeth, which I wasn't crazy about but deferred. ones on the side he didn't take so much off... could be it is why they are the bulkiestFunny thing was the dental assistant made temporaries in the office and I loved them.. felt a little odd but got use to it and was sorry to get rid of them after 3 weeks.
I never expected that to happen

The temporaries were acrylic and probably a little thin.You paid a lot of money for these veneers.You do not have to accept them if you do not like them.They can be changed and there should be no additional charge to you.Just be careful with them.There is little retention with these veneers and they can shear off.

I am going to let someone else help you.You seem to be a little upset and I cannot fix your problem.