Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH A STRAIGHT SET OF WONDERFUL TEETH.I

Customer Question
I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH...
I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH A STRAIGHT SET OF WONDERFUL WHITE TEETH.I AM 56 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE NEVER HAD A CAVITY. HOWEVER, IN 2006 I WAS BURIED ALIVE IN AN EXCAVATION ACCIDENT IN WHICH I BROKE MY BACK. SINCE THEN I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN CHRONIC TERRIBLE BACK PAIN AS MY. ACKNOWLEDGE INJURY HAS BEEN DETERMINED TO BE INOPERABLE.SO, SINCE 2009 I HAVE BEEN TAKING A REGIMENT OF OPIOID BASED PAIN KILLERS JUST TO KEEP ME FUNCTIONING. NOW AFTER LIVING MY LIFE WITHOUT A ONE SINGLE CAVITY, AND CONTINUING TO KEEP MY DENTAL REGIMEN THE SAME, MY TEETH ARE LITERALLY ROTTING FRONT THE INSIDE OUT. THIS ONLY MEANS ONE THING, THAT I AM INGESTING SOMETHING THAT ARE CAUSING MY TEETH TO JUST BREAK OFF AT THE GUM LINE IN MOST CASES. HOWEVER, I HAD ONE JUST THE OTHER NIGHT BREAK ABOUT MIDWAY. IN EITHER SCENARIO, INSIDE THE TOOTH IS COMPLETELY BLACK UPON INVESTIGSTION. COMPLETELY ROTTEN FROM THE INSIDE OUT. MY DENTIST SAID THAT HE IS CONVINCED THAT IS A RESULT OF THESE TYPE OF MEDICATIONS HAS HE HAS SEEN IT BEFORE. NOW I USED TO BE PROUD OF MY SMILE AND DISPLAYED IT OFTEN. I USED TO LOOK FORWARD TO MY SEMI ANNUAL CHECK UPS SO MY DENTIST COULD PRAISE ME FOR MY EXCELLENT BRUSHING, AND FLOSSING REGIMES. NOW I HAVE GROWN MY MUSTACHE EXTRA LONG TO COVER MY SMILE AND I RARELY SMILE. I HAVE TO TAKE RANDOM DRUG SCREENS TO BE PRESCRIBED THESE TYPE OF MEDICATIONS AND I HAVE NEVER FAILED ONE BECAUSE NUMBER ONE I DON'T DO DRUGS. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE AFFECT OF USING THESE TYPE OF PAIN KILLERS AND WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY TEETH ROTTING FROM THE INSIDE OUT. NUMBER TWO, WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE IN REGARD TO FIXING MY TEETH WHICH I HAVE HAD TO ALREADY HAVE SEVERAL EXTRACTED. THANK YOU .DOWN FROWN.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
2/15/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

First of all, I'm sorry your dental health has been so affected from that accident. It's quite devastating what medication side effects can do to your teeth. Teeth decay from certain bacteria in the mouth (strep mutans). When the oral environment is modulated by a medication a few things could be happening causing the rampant decay. One thing that happens is the mouth becomes much dryer, specifically at night and when that occurs the bacteria go wild! So one thing to look at would be to have your dentist have your saliva tested. It can tell the dentist the quantity and quality of saliva, in addition to what the majority of the bacterial load in your mouth is. With this info it may be determined if a specific antibacterial rinse, oral antibiotic, or salivary stimulant is indicated to help re-establish a better environment. The medications can also cause the mouth to be more acidic. When the mouth is more acidic it's important to make sure this isn't occurring 24/7 because that will restore hard tissue structure (teeth enamel and dentin). To decrease the acidity is more difficult but one way to help is wash the acid off the tee has frequently as possible (basically drink or swish tons of water). Stay away from acidic drinks like pop and juice or drink them quickly instead of sipping for long periods of time. The only other idea I can suggest is if you can discuss with your medical doctor a patch form of pain relief instead of oral? That may benefit you, but may require more monitoring. That would be a consult with your pain dr. With that info is there additinonal concerns you may have?

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist